If, like us, you’ve found yourself drawn to fountain pens and in the market for a new one, you might have noticed that some have hefty price tags. This is especially true as you move away from basic filling systems and into the world of technical wonder pens that are also works of art.
But before you get to the land of wonder that is mid-range pens, you might want to start with something more affordable.
With this guide to the best fountain pen under 50 pounds, we hope to point you towards affordable options that still give you a luxurious fountain pen feel.
Best Fountain Pen Under 50 Pounds: 15 Reviews
1. TWSBI Eco Fountain Pen
It seems fitting to start our list of the best fountain pens with the TWSBI Eco, an affordable piston filler pen with excellent writing capabilities. This fountain pen is easy to disassemble and deep clean, which means it will last much longer.
With the cap design, you won’t have to worry about it rolling off your desk or the fountain pen drying out. The TWSBI Eco fountain pen also holds a ton of ink, and with the demo barrel, you won’t have to stress about suddenly running out.
Its frame is also not too big and light enough for a comfortable full day of use.
2. LAMY Safari Fountain Pen
- The fountain pen with the ABS (acrylonitrile butadiene styrene) plastic body impresses with its elegant & shiny design, which is rounded off by the silver steel nib and the turquoise sprung metal clip
- Effortless writing thanks to distinctive recessed grips: Thanks to the ergonomically shaped grip zone, the LAMY pen sits securely in the hand for a comfortable writing experience
- Made in Germany - LAMY is reliable: High quality combined with a wide range of attractive colours and different nib widths promote individual writing styles
- Make someone happy: This special edition of the LAMY Safari fountain pen is the ideal fountain pen for children from the age of 8 and it is also suitable for teenagers and adults
- Box contents: 1x LAMY safari candy fountain pen 021 in aquamarine with nib thickness M; incl. 1x large ink cartridge T 10 in blue. Compatible with converter Z28 for sustained use
Even though these are plastic pens, it’s durable ABS plastic. The pens are also easy to use and offer different nib sizes.
The Lamy Safari fountain pens also have ink cartridges or ink convertors that hold large amounts of ink for full-day writing and consistent ink flow.
If that wasn’t enough to convince you why the Lamy Safari is one of the best fountain pens, behold the massive range of colours they come in. Read the complete review of this pen in our LAMY safari fountain pen review.
3. PILOT Metropolitan Fountain Pen
- Pilot's sleek Metropolitan Collection signature pens
- Finest quality at a mid-range price
- Medium nib
- Ships with 1 Pilot black ink cartridge and 1 Pilot Press Plate Converter
- Black barrel
The Pilot Metropolitan consistently makes it onto our lists of best fountain pens. It has a big group of loyal supporters, and with good reason.
This pen is beautiful but still an excellent choice for full-day use. The retractable medium nib is surrounded by brass and makes for a more classic look.
For the price, this light pen is an exceptional beginner fountain pen choice.
4. Kaweco Classic Sport Fountain Pen
- RELIABLE FOR EVERY DAY I The Kaweco Sport fountain pen is available in five different nib sizes, making it ideal for any type of writing. The steel nibs are Made in Germany.
- OVER 100 YEARS KAWECO SPORT I Classic design combined with modern materials in limited collection colours convinces with the latest technology, pleasant feel & a noticeably smooth writing experience.
- COMPACT & LIGHT I The lightweight but robust Kaweco fountain pen has the ideal pocket size with the cap closed (10.5cm) (cap attached 13cm) I animal testing-free & vegan Kaweco ink is available separately in various colours
- QUALITY SINCE 1883 I Our products are hand-assembled and individually inspected in Nuremberg, the city renowned for its pencils. First-class quality, high functionality and the best service has always been our priority.
- THE PERFECT WRITING TOOL is what you are guaranteed to find in our broad product range – from pencils to fountain pens to ball pens.
A favourite for pocket pen lovers the world over, the Kaweco Classic Sport fountain pen is a durable pen with several refill options. While it does use the standard ink cartridges, you can also refill it with a mini plunger ink refill converter. Alternatively, you can use an eye dropper to fill from your favourite bottle of the best black fountain pen ink.
Besides the affordable technical aspect, the Sport pocket pens are also stylish and come in various colours. And with the cap style and clip, you won’t have to worry about the pen rolling off your desk or falling out of your pocket.
5. Pilot Explorer Fountain Pen
The Pilot Explorer is an aluminium-bodied pen that comes in six colourful finishes. The pen is lightweight and easy to use for beginners. It comes with a medium and fine nib and one pilot cartridge for easy refilling.
It can also be swapped with a larger Pilot cartridge with more ink. Overall, it’s a great, fun, and affordable fountain pen option.
6. Faber-Castell GRIP Fountain Pen
- Soft grip zone for a pleasant writing experience
- Optimum ink/nib combination for particularly smooth and light writing
- Robust stainless steel nib and stainless steel clip
- Suitable for right- and left-handers
- Accepts standard ink cartridges
As the name suggests, the Faber-Castell GRIP series is known for its fantastic grip. The series comes in two varieties; an older, more colourful array of fountain pens and a newer, more subdued and luxury pen.
The combination of the durable plastic body, light body, and grip make this one of the easiest fountain pens to use. It’s great for beginners and experienced writers alike and will be perfect for a full day of use without bringing on any dreaded hand cramps.
The GRIP comes with standard ink cartridges and has space to hold two, so you’ll always have extra ink handy. You can also use the fountain pen with bottled ink.
7. Asvine Matte Black Forest Fountain Pen
- This pen is equipped with a unique, streamlined stainless steel extra fine nib to deliver an incomparable writing experience.
- It comes with a converter for bottled ink, Ink cartridges Not included for safety. You can purchase the Hongdian cartridges in our store, ASIN：B08259HPC7
- The weight of pen is carefully calculated and much more suitable for long time writing.
- This pen was designed for those who appreciate an exceptional writing experience.
- Beautifully well balanced and artfully writing instrument, this matte black fountain pen set is top of its class. With metal pen case, it makes an amazing gift for yourself, your family or absolutely anyone else.
The Asvine Forest fountain pen is a sleek pen with a minimalist design perfect for lovers of more modern fountain pens. The pen has a snap top with a super fine nib and ink converter for bottled ink.
The matte finish makes this an elegant choice, but it doesn’t have to be boring. This fountain pen also comes in a few other colourful colours, which are still elegant but with a little more personality.
8. Dryden Designs Fountain Pen
- Writes Like A Dream - Designed to be well balanced, you do not have to press down hard to begin to write. Ink flows smoothly and naturally under its own weight. Using the medium nib and convenient snap on cap, you can write wherever and however you wish.
- Modern and Elegant - This sleek Mysterious Blue metallic design adds a touch of modern class to your daily routine. It is made from stainless steel which is well crafted and sturdy, designed as a left and right handed fountain pen. Create to do lists, journal, make executive decisions by smoothly signing your signature on the line all possible with this flex medium nib.
- Daily Use - This will be your best writing tool that you carry around and bring with you everywhere. With the smooth lines, consistent flow, your lines will always glide across the page whether it is notes in your agenda or doodles on the side of a page. With zero ink leakage and cap cover, this is the perfect writer's pen.
- Versatile Pen - Each one is compatible with both a standard cartridge and bottled ink, making it a versatile fountain pen. For your convenience, every order includes a piston converter. This pump allows you to refill the pen with an ink bottle you purchase separately.
- Gift Ready - This item comes ready to go as a gift. Perfect for college, university, and law school graduates as a graduation present. A nice surprise for literary writers, those who love to journal and those who write poetry. Fountain pens are a classy gift for new and advanced professionals, managers, and executives in every industry boosting elegance and class. A treat for yourself as a hard-working individual who meticulously takes notes and stays organized.
The Dryden Designs fountain pen is an old-school pen that works great for everyday needs and calligraphy writing. The pen comes with a piston ink refill converter and 24 ink cartridges in both blue and black.
The fountain pen is on the heavier side but helps facilitate the smooth and effortless ink flow. Overall, it’s a great affordable option with an old-world quality feel.
9. MUJI Aluminum Fountain Pen
- Weight: 20g
- Compatible ink cartridges: Muji 5-139040 (５－１３９０４０)
- Made in Japan
- Dimensions: total length 13.7 cm (with cap), diameter 1cm
The Muji Aluminium fountain pen was one of our surprise picks, considering its affordable price tag. But this pen and its durable body have become one of the best fountain pen choices on this list.
It’s low maintenance and affordable, and the steel nib is durable. You won’t have any bleeding or feathering, which makes for a great choice when writing on cheap paper.
If you would like more detail, read our in-depth review on the Muji Aluminium fountain pen.
10. Scrikss 419 Fountain Pen
No products found.
The No products found. pen is the perfect option for those looking for a luxury pen at a more affordable price. The style is expensive looking, feels luxurious, and the piston filler system follows the same specs as mid to high-end brands.
The fountain pen is made of acrylic resin, and the stainless steel accents are plated in gold. The ink window lets you easily see how much ink is left, giving you peace of mind during the day. And the medium nib is steel and allows for smooth writing.
11. Scriveiner Luxury Fountain Pen
- ★ ENJOY THE FEEL OF A TRUE LUXURY PEN IN YOUR HAND – Stunning luxury fountain pen by Scriveiner. Brass with silver chrome, finished with 24 karat gold appointments. Premium quality and understated luxury from a boutique British brand.
- ★ TRANSCRIBE YOUR THOUGHTS EFFORTLESSLY – Perfectly weighted and balanced, the German-made Schmidt nib glides across the page. Comes with a converter and two cartridges - one black, one blue.
- ★ IMPRESS YOUR COLLEAGUES AND YOUR LOVED ONES – Whether as a casual or executive pen, for work, office or personal use, your Scriveiner fountain pen will be admired by those around you.
- ★ EXPRESS ELEGANCE, SOPHISTICATION AND UNDERSTATED LUXURY – Scriveiner pens are designed in London, England and share the timeless attributes of classic British design.
- ★ A PERFECT GIFT – Whether for Christmas, Father's Day, Mother's Day, for a favourite teacher or simply as a present to treat yourself. Comes in a beautiful gift box.
Another luxurious pen on our list is the Scriveiner Luxury fountain pen. The pen comes in a 24k gold finish and is easy to use. With a pen like this at your side, you can go about your day feeling and looking premium.
The medium nib is also gold covered and writes smoothly. The pen works with a converter, and you will receive extra blue and black ink when purchasing the pen.
All in all, the Sciveiner Luxury fountain pen is a great affordable luxury option.
12. LAMY Aion Fountain Pen
Another LAMY to make the list, the LAMY Aion is a gorgeous aluminium fountain pen. The body is durable, and the steel nibs give consistent ink flow and can easily handle everyday use. The grip on the pen is firm and makes for easy full-day use.
The Lamy ink cartridges are also readily available and affordable. While it’s not too heavy, the pen is bigger than most options here and might not make the best pocket pen.
13. Cross Bailey Light Fountain Pen
- The pens of the Bailey Colllection, which lie comfortably and balanced in the hand, combine a traditional well-balanced profile with sophisticated finishes.
- This elegant Cross pen features a new lightweight resin design / The centre ring with deep-cut engraved accents adds just the right amount of flair.
- Introducing a smart new option for your everyday pen collection. Bailey light is the first non-metal Cross pen.
- Great quality presented in a premium gift box.
- Lifetime Mechanical warranty.
The Cross Bailey Light fountain pen is an affordable pen with exceptional style. It comes in more than six colours with gold and silver accent options. The pen also has a variety of nib sizes, including medium nib and fine nib options.
The Bailey Light uses cartridges and the Cross push ink converter. And even though it’s a cheaper option, you can expect Cross to deliver on the pen quality every single time.
14. JinHao 450 Fountain Pen
- Nib:M (steel nib); Length:138mm; Diameter:14mm; Net weight:45g
- Cap:push type; Converter:screw type(you also can buy the jinhao ink cartridges in my shop for this pen, ASIN is B07PQBJ3VT which you can search in Amazon directly)
- Quantity:1pcs come with a converter(ink pump, fit for bottled ink), NO ink, NO gift box
- If any problems caused(like did not receive or pen did not work), please don’t hesitate to contact us, we will try our best to help you solve the problems
The JinHao 450 fountain pen is affordable and fun. The pens come in black, blue, red, gold, and black with a white line design. Every pen has a beautiful gold finish. The pen is contoured for easy grip and isn’t too hefty, making it a good option for all-day use.
The pen also comes with ten cartridges, with two sets per colour. The cartridges also work with JinHao’s other fountain pens. The ink is fast drying, making it great for beginners who are not yet used to slower-drying ink.
You can read the full review on this pen in our Jinhao fountain pen review.
15. Diplomat Magnum Fountain Pen
The Diplomat Magnum fountain pen was designed with beginners in mind. The triangular grip section makes it easier to hold and to keep the nib pointed correctly. The slimmer body is also easy to hold and lighter than many other options.
The plastic body is durable and can hold two cartridges in case you run out during the day. The steel nibs come available in two sizes, medium and fine.
While we couldn’t give you any affordable fountain pens with solid gold nibs, we hope this guide helps narrow down your choices.
Choose the best fountain pen under 50 pounds that fits your needs and your budget, and have fun getting immersed in the world of fountain pens.